Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Feast of St. Matthew or Invite Your Accountant to Mass Day!

These are both from CatholicExchange.com:

First this:

Matthew 9:9
As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax office; and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.
--------------------
Not many children greet the day saying, "When I grow up, I want to do accounting!" Seldom do we, in our deepest dreams and hopes of youth, say, "If only I could spend my life in an office!" And when we lay on our deathbeds, we will not look back and say, "If only I had done more bookkeeping!" Matthew must have felt the same way, judging from the way he nearly tipped his tableful of shekels over in his hurry to bolt from his cubicled existence to follow Jesus when he said, "Follow me." Matthew wanted life, not security (or securities). And he got it. He learned his lesson the hard way that money is cold comfort. When the fire of God's love was kindled, he felt it and drew near instantly.



Here's more on St. Matthew:

St. Matthew the Evangelist

For ideas on celebrating the Feast of St. Matthew, visit

CatholicCulture.com

No comments: