Thursday, September 15, 2005

I'm not alone!!! or, Someone else part 2

Going through the Catholic Exchange articles this morning, I ran across this one:

Reflections on Teenage Modesty

I especially like that fact that there’s another mom out there who has the guts to take a stand with her sons’ friends in her own home:

Theresa Kuhar, a mother of six in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a shining example of the effectiveness of convicted parenting. To begin, she does not allow her teenaged sons to wear the t-shirts with offensive slogans or suggestive pictures which are popular with their peers. As an open and involved parent, Kuhar welcomes her sons’ friends in their home, but she is clear that family guests must also adhere to the standards she has set for her own children’s attire.“If any of the guys who come to spend the weekend come in with inappropriate clothing, they are offered one of the boys’ t-shirts and a room to change in. If they decline, they are asked to leave and shown the door. In general, they know the rules and are glad to obey them in return for a comfy couch, a stocked fridge, and a full complement of video games.”

Love that!!! I’m going to have to remember to do that with V’s friends. I also love the way she “helps” her son chose appropriate clothing:

When her children make requests for inappropriate clothing, Kuhar has a unique way of helping them to recognize a potential poor choice on their own. When her 15-year-old son recently asked to purchase t-shirts promoting alcohol use, she asked him if he would feel comfortable wearing them to Mass. He admitted that he wouldn’t, and he didn’t buy them.“I almost always frame my answer in the context of Mass, and it solves the matter on the spot. If you can’t be seen in church wearing it, it doesn’t belong in our house.”

I’m feeling so much better :)

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Amen brother, Amen

ChristineMM said...

I enjoyed your post. I applaud any parent who makes good clothing choices for children.

I take this to earlier ages than teens and offensive t-shirt slogans.

A beef I have, though, is the idea that only dressing girls in dresses teaches modesty. One very Catholic acquaintence of mine puts herself in this camp. However when I see her girls trying to do normal outdoor play they are actually exposing themselves. Examples: going down the slide, riding a bike, swinging on a swing. How is making them wear a dress with panties under it teaching modesty if they are exposing their underwear? I have also seen sometimes, when they are exposed due to the panties moving. How about also wearing leggings or solid colored tights if they must wear dresses? Aren't (normal cut) pants for girls more modest than dresses?

I also have a real issue with the low cut pants and keep seeing little girls bare buttocks while they play at parks and at children's museums. I think it is gross for children aged 3 and up to be put in these trendy clothes then in normal play to have their private parts revealed.

More of the body is exposed when girls wear the shirts which show their bellies.

I read a great blog entry once (forget which one) in which the mom talked about the shirts for girls (and women) with the tiny writing across the breasts. These force people to stare at the breast area to read the small print. It was a great blog entry as she wrote that she saw a teenaged girl wearing a shirt that said "What Would Jesus Do?". She didn't think that Jesus would want men/boys, and anyone else staring at a teenage girls breast in order to read the tiny font. Having a Christian message across the breasts vs. a non-Christian message is not superior. This mom advocated not wearing those shirts at all (I agree with her). I see these types of shirts worn by preschoolers also. This is also problematic as more girls seem to be developing breasts at age 7 and 8 around here, and they wear those shirts, and have no bra on, and so people are looking right at their breasts...
Yuck.

I may work this into a post on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! It's me, Theresa Kuhar! I just happened to find your post when I googled my name. Thanks for the comments! You bolstered my spirits.